For people with high blood pressure, they need to constantly observe their blood pressure to pay attention to their physical conditions.
However, it is troublesome to always run to the hospital, so many people are equipped with a blood pressure meter.
For accurate blood pressure measurement, the choice of a blood pressure monitor is important.
But facing the many types of blood pressure monitors on the market, what’s the best blood pressure monitor on the market?
We suggest that you better buy an arm-type blood pressure monitor with automatic pressure and deflation. One-button operation is the most suitable home blood pressure monitor.
Top 10 Blood Pressure Monitor for Seniors
Last update on 2021-10-18 at 10:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How to buy a suitable blood pressure monitor for Seniors?
1. Choose Mercury blood pressure monitor or Electronic blood pressure monitor?
Mercury column-type blood pressure monitors have higher accuracy and stability and require higher technical requirements from users.
If the technology is not in place and the operation is improper, it will easily cause errors in the measured blood pressure.
The electronic blood pressure monitor is simple to use and convenient to measure. However, please pay attention to the purchase of electronic blood pressure monitors certified by international standards when purchasing.
2. Choose an electronic or blood pressure monitor for an arm or wrist?
When buying a blood pressure monitor, consider the situation of the user.
The general population, either arm or wrist, is fine.
Middle-aged and elderly people, because of high blood viscosity and poor microcirculation, it is recommended to use the arm type.
Such as diabetes, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, and other patients. Because the results of the arm blood pressure monitor are compared, the error of the blood pressure measurement of the wrist type will be very large.
3. Is the measurement method automatic or semi-automatic?
The fully automatic blood pressure monitor automatically controls the air volume. Press the button to automatically pressurize.
Semi-automatic is manual pressurization (pressing with a rubber ball by hand), which is more troublesome. The main reason is that the air volume is not well controlled, and the pulse rate of the test is not accurate when the air is lost.
4. Do I need to purchase a memory function?
The memory function of the blood pressure monitor means that the blood pressure records (high pressure, low pressure, pulse, and other data) of the person being measured are stored in the machine,
It can make the measured person know his blood pressure value for a period, which is a bad function.
How to correctly use a blood pressure monitor for Seniors
Measuring blood pressure is a simple technique, but if the measurement method is not correct, it will affect the blood pressure measurement and cannot truly reflect the patient’s blood pressure.
Many people with hypertension and heart disease have purchased blood pressure monitors at home for home monitoring, which is undoubtedly a good thing.
However, it is often the case that the self-tested blood pressure value of the patient is inconsistent with that measured by the medical staff. Sometimes, it is still far away.
It is often because patients ignore some methods of measuring blood pressure correctly.
1. Keep the room quiet, and the room temperature should be kept at about 20 ℃.
2. The subject should be relaxed before the measurement.
It is best to rest for 20-30 minutes, empty your bladder, avoid alcohol, coffee, and strong tea, and stop smoking.
3. The test subject can take the sitting or supine position. The arm to be tested should be placed at the same level as the right atrium (the arm should be at the same level as the fourth rib cartilage when sitting, and the armpit midline when lying) 45 degrees outreach.
Roll up the sleeves to the armpits or take off one sleeve for easy measurement.
4. Before measuring the blood pressure, the gas in the cuff of the sphygmomanometer should be evacuated, and then the cuff should be tied to the upper arm flatly. It should not be too loose or too tight to avoid affecting the accuracy of the measured value.
The brachial artery in the middle of the airbag to the elbow socket (most electronic blood pressure monitors are marked with arrows on the cuff), the lower edge of the cuff is 2 to 3 cm from the elbow socket.
5. Turn on the electronic sphygmomanometer and record the blood pressure measurement results after the measurement is completed.
6. Completely deflate after the first measurement, wait at least 1 minute, repeat the measurement once, and take the average of 2 times to obtain the blood pressure value.
In addition, if you want to determine whether you have high blood pressure, it is best to take measurements at different times. It is generally believed that at least three blood pressure measurements at different times can be used to determine high blood pressure.
7. If you need to observe the blood pressure changes every day, you should use the same position and the same blood pressure meter to measure the blood pressure of the same arm at the same time, so that the measured results will be more reliable.
Blood pressure measurement results are related to factors such as gender, age, body position, exercise, mental state, and measurement methods.
The accuracy of blood pressure measurement results will directly affect the medical personnel’s diagnosis, treatment, and judgment of treatment results.